Aug 11, 2009
EIP announced its support for actions taken today by the Maryland Department of the Environment (MDE) to reduce dangerous mercury emissions at Lehigh Cement Company’s Union Bridge Plant in Carroll County, Maryland. EIP wrote to MDE Secretary Shari Wilson in October 2008 asking the state to limit dangerous mercury emissions from the Lehigh plant after new data showed the cement kiln released nearly 400 pounds per year of this deadly neurotoxin, making it the State’s second largest of emitter of mercury.
- For EIP’s full press release, click here
- For the MDE and Lehigh Cement Consent Agreement, click here
- For EIP’s letter to MDE Secretary, click here
- For MDE’s response to EIP, click here
- For a link to a chart of Mercury emitters, including the Lehigh plant, click here